Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday in the Kitchen - a goal realized

Guess what I did most of Sunday? I was a domestic goddess...and it was FUN.

I started off with home made pancakes. Got the recipe online...picked Good Eats with Alton Brown. I dig him. Ended up even separating eggs and such...and "snuck" some bananas in...hoping grant would ingest them with the cake...no so luck. He didnt eat the pan cakes...and i must admit i felt rejected. However...they really did taste yummy..even if they werent symetrical or round atall.



Ah yes the hummus Ive been teasing you with..you and I really. Well anyhoo...after some mixing delimas (started in the blender...which didnt work...transferring to the food processor I didnt know we owned)...its DELICIOUS! So exciting to finally make it from scratch. Another exciting example of a recipe perfect to screw with. I added thai spicey sauce and some herbs (cant remember what), and LOTS of roasted garlic. I roasted the garlic in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes..another new thing for me! You MUST make hummus if you dont already. Its the perfect, anytime quicky snack. Great for dipping veggies, pitas, chips etc.


Here is the original recipe...from my friend Delight (yes that is really her name and she lives up to it).



Then I made lunch pizza. Used more of the roasted garlic, some bulk ground beef that I had browned the night before, onion, yellow pepper and lots of spices. The crust is premade and it ROCKS (a baboli knock off). I made 2 pizzas so we have a whole pizza for snacks and lunch for the next day.




Finally I put the roast on. Let it simmer for 3 hours! It turned out delicious....and SOOOO very simple. You must try this (if you eat beef of course).


Italian Roast
1 Chuck Roast (any size, and kind, I used arm)
1 - 2 Onions quartered
2 cloves garlic, slivered
2 Bay Leaf
2 TBLS Oregano
3 TBLS Basil
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
1 large can whole toms undrained
2 heaping rounded TBLS Tomato paste

Brown your roast in a bit of olive oil
Add all ingredients
Squish toms with hands! (turned out to be a hoot...but watch out)
Mix a bit
Simmer for 2 - 3 hours
Roast is done when you can twirl it with a fork and it breaks a part.

I roasted my carrots and potatos in the oven separately...bc i was worried about changing the flavor...but surely it would be just fine! This is truly delicious dish that we will be eating on for days. Never a simpler meal has ever been written.
This is a 10 out of 10. Easy, Inexpensive, little mess and superbly delicious.

Happy feasting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We just might have some roast for dinner! I've only tried a big meat hunk like that once before and it wasn't so tasty, so I'm ready to give it another go.

I'm so glad you made some hummus, it's wonderful isn't it? Good old hummus is probably responsible for about 10 percent of little Viv's body mass! ;-D