Thursday, October 18, 2007

Crock Pot Chili

Our fridge is still bare...but I woke up with a plan. I had stocked up for chili 2 weeks ago...and this morning....it was born (at 7:30AM!!!!).

This is an old recipe I have used over and over again through the years. The best part is that its made in a crock pot...yes the beloved crock pot. So I threw the ingredients together...and after work TADA....dinner is ready! This has truly renewed my interest in crock potting...perfect for the wohm who would rather cuddle with her child than chop onions at 5PM.

Im learning that all recipes (with the exception of baking) are meant to be meddled with. Take the foundation and add personality. Chili is ripe for modification. Here is the recipe as written:

2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, finely cut
1 28 ounce can whole toms undrained
2 16 ounce cans kidney beans, undrained
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

Brown your beef add the rest and simmer all day.

Here is the "before" pic (as in before it simmers for 8 hours and then becomes one). I will try to add an "after" pic tomorrow.


The beef can be interchanged with tofu, turkey, chicken, emu...etc. 1 pound beef 1 pound tofu sounds good to me. I also recommend lots more garlic and onion and I swapped 1 can of kidney for black beans. Seasoning of course can be totally messed with ..to taste.


Again...this isnt a healthy poster recipe..due to the beef i suppose...but overall it is a good quality home cooked dish. Lots of protein and certainly comfort food. Great for chili evenings :).

No comments: