Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Butternut Squash Soup

Yes I have been creating home cooked meals...some of the time...definitely meeting and even exceeding my goal of 3 times per week! But i want to take a minute here for a disclaimer. I originally said healthy was my intention..and it still is..but Im not going all out health nazi. Cooking at home was my number one goal. I was NOT cooking (unless you count Bertolli). So making food at home was a huge undertaking. This I have begun and it feels like I am on the right track. Yes I want to make healthy food, and generally I do. It helps that when you know the ingredients in your food you are waaaayyyy above the dining out and processed foods curve. So with that being said...yes I am leaning towards healthy...but I am not opposed to heavy cream, fried foods and butter. If this offends you please accept my so what hehe. I also intend to continue improving the health quality of my creations as time wears on and its not so difficult to put meals together.

So that brings us to our yum yum soup. Dear husband actually ended up putting this together and I thank him so much. He is actually the natural chef in the family...but even he has been slacking the last 6 months or so. Has something to do with being overworked. So the butternut squash soup was born...and this picture does it NO justice:



It is truly yummy though. The pear really brings out the yum yum factor. We left out the nuts as usual but it still was fine. It would look beautiful with the garnish of pear and pecans as the recipe encourages. This is a dish that is perfect for the family....or for a girls only autumn brunch. I found it at Moms Menu.

Butternut Squash Soup

1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tbls butter or margarine
2 cups chicken broth
1 pound or so butternut squash / pared, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 pears pared and sliced
1 tsp fresh/snipped thyme leaves (we used dried)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground coriander (we omitted)
1 cup whipping cream (oh yaaaaa bring it on)

Garnishes: 1 pear , unpared and sliced
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Cook and stir onion in margarine in 4-quart Dutch oven until tender. Stir in broth,squash, 2 sliced pears, thyme, salt, white pepper, and coriander. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour about half of the soup into food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade or into blender container; cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. Return to Dutch oven; stir in whipping cream. Heat, stirring frequently, until hot. Serve with sliced pear and pecans.

Here is another squash soup recipe that i want to try. it seems simpler and without the cream :(.

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 shallots, chopped 1 butternut squash,
peeled and roughly chopped
4 cups chicken stock (or just water is fine for extra squash flavor)
1 cup water
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ? teaspoon dried

"Caramelizing the onions adds their sweetness to that of the squash, and roasting the walnuts briefly in a dry pan enhances their flavor and provides crunchy texture"

I made a blueberry pie for hubby which turned out fabulous (recipe on the label of Oregon blueberries. No pic to prove but Im serious...it was pretty.

And then the hummus adventure continues. This time I added lots and lots of fresh spinach, roasted garlic, flax seed oil and a yellow pepper. I didnt add spices this time and left out the onion. It is good thats for sure. However I miss the onion (even though it left dragon breath in its wake!) and the thai hot sauce. The spinach is a big winner though and its a keeper. This is a good halloween pic...is it green slime or delicious hummus? you decide.



Thanks for visiting! and share your recipes with me! I would love to try them

No comments: